[pct-l] Food Box Advice - Freeze Dried Eggs, Butter, Cheese

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 4 20:33:51 CST 2013

I've had experience with f-d cheese (also fruits, veggies, and meats).  They all last months after being opened.  I would send food resupply boxes with f-d stuff, then augment with instant rice, cous-cous, instant potatoes, dehydrated refried beans, stovetop stuffing, etc. bought in towns.

All rehydrate well, even in cool water, which takes longer, of course.   I went stoveless last year, with no problems.  I like the cheese to just snack on while hiking - just like a pinch of snuff, except it doesn't cause cancer.  The meats take longer to rehydrate than veggies, but not too long.  My main breakfast was a ziplock of granola & bran cereal with f-d fruit and Nido.

My only criticism of f-d is the higher cost.  But the better taste, variety, light weight, and quick rehydration make up for that.

Good luck.

Mango