[pct-l] Jobs after the Trail

Laura Reed 1pint2007 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 08:33:45 CST 2013

I can only speak from the perspective of a hiring manager. Yes, there are
some great things you can pull from your thru-hike to distinguish yourself
and highlight skills (such as project management) or attitude
(determination and perseverance in the face of adversity) but my 1 caution
would be this... hiring managers hate employee turn-over. If the person
thinks you're likely to up and leave for another long trail adventure,
he/she is likely to hire another candidate even if you are the best
qualified. So sell the great things you learned, but ensure to casually
mention something along the lines of how you "got it out of your system"
and you're now happy to be a section hiker.
Best,
1Pint/Laura

Abilene wrote:
This might sound like an odd question but my friends and family keep
telling me how thru-hiking the PCT will make me a more desirable employee
when I return. They explain that it will look good on my resume and give me
one up on my competition. My career is in parks and recreation, so it seems
obvious I guess that it might - but does anyone know how? Has anyone
experienced this happening to them after returning and getting a job?