[pct-l] Independence vs. Lone Pine vs Bishop for Resupply

Emily Toby emilytoby at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:35:54 CST 2013

>From Independence, it is relatively easy to get anywhere on the 395 highway. In the last two years doing trail magic at the trailhead to Kearsage Pass, nobody had any trouble getting a ride from Independence to either Lone Pine (15 miles south) or the much larger town of Bishop (45 miles north). There is also a bus that travels three times daily, week days only, between Lone Pine and Bishop (Eastern Sierra Transit Authority).  Most people would stick out their thumbs while waiting for the bus and get a ride.
Independence has several restaurants and motels, but no market, just three gas station stop and robs. Lone Pine is slightly larger, has a nice gear shop and a small market. Bishop has got everything.
More problematic than hitching to Lone Pine is getting a ride to/from trailhead to the highway in Independence, which is 12 miles and 5000 feet below you on the floor of the Owens Valley.  Rides were pretty sparse in 2011 with the epic snow levels (that is, until Bristlecone and I showed up), a little easier in 2012. That being said, we intend to resupply at Kearsage Pass this year on our thru hike.  Here's a hint, it's easier to get a ride on weekends than weekdays and think like a weekender or day hiker and you'll do fine. That is, they go up the hill in the morning and come down at the end of their hike.
See you down the trail.
ÜberBitch