[pct-l] Deep Creek Detour

Paul Mitchell paul at bluebrain.ca
Fri Feb 15 18:18:14 CST 2013

> Also curious about places to camp in the 16 mile stretch between the first
Deep Creek bridge and the Mojave Spillway (near Hesperia).  I hiked thru
there in 2011 and I think there are a few places to camp but I think camping
at Deep Creek Springs in against the law???  Thanks ...

If I remember correctly (been through there three times) there are no great
places to camp between that first bridge and the spillway on trail, a bit of
exploration off-trail may yield some spots flat enough, but nothing ideal.
I've seen tents way down by the creek far off trail, but I don't recall
seeing any safe paths down.

Camping at the springs is prohibited, but of course people do it, some
locals seem to camp there for extended periods.  Encountered rangers there
once but it was a long weekend so they were there to dissuade local
partiers, I highly doubt they are there daily.  I'm not advocating breaking
the rules, just sayin' people do.

-Potential178