[pct-l] Old PCT Route

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Fri Feb 15 12:46:58 CST 2013

	I just located my 1974 PCT maps from the US Forest Service--the
California section is in booklet form with a light tan cover
(Ned--they may have been yellow at one time)--1/2 inch to the mile.
Completed PCT is shown as a solid black line and uncompleted as a
dashed line.The temporary route is shown with a red line--there is a
lot of it.   The Oregon/Washington sections are folded maps at about
5/16 inch to the mile. The Oregon/Washington maps have a narrative
"trail log" with cumulative mileage, location of camps--set up like a
primitive data book. They are quite entertaining to look at.

	I wish I saved my old Wilderness Press guidebook from 1973--I
remember statements like, "Look up on the ridge and head for an
obvious old lodgepole pine". That was in the section north of Castle
Crags in California. I had to dig out a dendrology book and make sure
I knew what a lodgepole pine looked like.

	Black Belt Hiker--I can scan in the areas you want to look at and
email them to you.

	--Fireweed