[pct-l] Maps Organization

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Feb 12 17:07:53 CST 2013

Good afternoon, Wally,

I acquired a batch of 8.5” x 11” capacity Ziplocs, and I carry two of them.
One has most of the maps for the resupply section, and it is kept
well-protected inside the back of my pack.  The other one is for daily
operations.  A sack can be seen at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265247

Each night I estimate where I’ll be through the next day and put those
sheets in the daily sack to replace the “used” ones.  The first two of the
day’s maps face outward, and get replaced – two at a time -- as required
through the day when I take breaks.  The daily sack is kept somewhere handy
to the outside of the pack.

With that method, if I lose or dunk the daily sack I’m on the average only
a half a day away from having a map to look at.  That worked pretty well,
except for ’08 when I had the maps between Belden and Castella in a Post
Office that was closed by a wildland fire so I just hiked without maps for
a couple of hundred miles.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye