[pct-l] Maps Organization

Ed Jarrett edjarrett at msn.com
Tue Feb 12 16:49:25 CST 2013

When I carried them in paper format, I trimmed them slightly and put them into a gallon Ziploc bag along with pages from the data book and yogi's guide.  The map is easily visible through one side of the Ziploc, while the other side has some writing on it.  As I moved along the trail I would always keep the current one at the top front so it was visible.  The whole thing folded in thirds and fit behind my water bottle in a pack pocket.
I have the maps installed on my phone now and no longer print and carry the paper maps.  Instead I carry the Forest Service map for the section I am on to get a much broader view of my place on the trail.  They generally cover a 40-100 mile section of the trail.  They are a bit heavy, but I love maps.

Ed Jarretthttp://aclayjar.blogspot.com/