[pct-l] dangers of "cameling up"

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 19:38:21 CST 2013

Hi Ernie,
I ran both cross country and track. When I first went out for cross country in the 10th grade I learned something that I have benefited from, and that still stays with me. Early in that first season, before our first race, our coach had picked a hot day to have us run the hilly course - and after finishing we were instructed to gather immediately under the goal posts of the football field. He was adamant that we were NOT to stop at the drinking fountain to get a drink. We were all very thirsty. Our coach had prepared one-quarter slices of the sourest lemons that I have ever tasted. We were to take a big bite and eat it. This caused us to salivate. He told us if we ever had dry mouth during a race we were to think of that experience - how very sour it was. It still works for me - more than a half-century later. I am salivating right now as I write this. I know, this does not re-hydrate you, but it does put liquid in your mouth, which you
 swallow; your mouth and your throat won't be dry.
MendoRider-Hiker