[pct-l] a fool proof way of not having bear encounters

Ross Williams rosswilliams at advocacytechnologies.org
Fri Feb 8 13:01:30 CST 2013

Sometimes you despair for the fate of the human race.

What we know from "experience" is that if food is available, bears will
find it. The problem with using YOUR "experience" is that your recent
experience is based on an environment created by people obsessively keeping
food away from bears.  If the food is there, "experience" tells us the
bears will eventually catch on and become "habituated bears" who are a
nuisance to everyone.  The bottom of your sleeping bag or tent is only safe
so long as the bears don't catch on. Even if you chase them off, they are
likely to remember there was food there and check the next bag/tent they
see.  You might as well set it on a rock.

As for not carrying bear canisters, I hope the rangers follow this list.
Putting someone on the trail early to check thru hikers would end the
problem in a hurry. Then you would have stories on this list that say,
"Don't risk it! You WILL get caught."

My experience with bears is in the BWCA in northern Minnesota. They are a
part of the landscape. The only way to prevent them from being constant
nuisances is to keep them away from human food. Or, unfortunately, shoot
them.