[pct-l] Some gear questions

Janet Grossman janetgr at cableone.net
Sat Feb 9 16:53:16 CST 2013

Chris Foley aka UBSeRiOuS said:

Lastly what are the thoughts on a Spot locator?  Around $200 to get going...is is a necessity out there an if so are you carrying one???

Chris,
I am pretty "untechnological," do carry a basic cell phone now but mostly don't use it. I do not even carry a camera, but love looking at other people's photos on-line. After falling in the snow on a PCT section hike and breaking my scapula I finally got a Personal Locator Beacon for about the same $250 as a Spot, which makes my non-hiking significant other feel better. Unlike the Spot, there is no monthly or yearly charge, and I also cannot push any kind of "I'm ok" button. It's just something to be set off if I am in a position where I really cannot self-rescue as I did w/ the broken shoulder blade. Obviously I still have to be conscious and able to fish it out of my pack and set it off. I decided it was worth the money and the 5 ounces for my partner's peace of mind and the "just in case" insurance. If I didn't hike alone, often at times when I really don't see other hikers much, I probably wouldn't bother with it.
Janet