[pct-l] GPS?

Fred Walters fredwalters2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 05:04:25 CST 2013

I have the impression that many carry smartphones (iPhones/Androids)
virtually all of which include GPS (aGPS).  I would do the same as much for
the town connectivity/phone/music as for the GPS.

However, do the GPSs in these devices need a data connection (Wi-Fi or
cellular) ?  As I understand it aGPSs can operate in different ways, some
just using the data connection to download new aGPS data for a faster fix
(every few days), but the GPS will still work without such data but taking
longer to get a fix (MSB mode).  Others need the data connection to pass
GPS signals to a aGPS server which processes them and returns the fix (MSA
mode).  So does anybody know if the phone the aGPSs will operate as
straight GPSs (i.e. without the "a").

Background: seems that for an occasional backup assistance, the GPS in a
smartphone does not mean extra weight,  and might still help, all be it
with limitations (e.g. limited battery life).

Fred