[pct-l] Hitching I-80 into Reno?

Pilar Diaz s.pilar.diaz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 10:12:42 CST 2013

Hello Wonderous People!

My name is Pilar, I've been on this list for a few months. What an awesome community this is. Thank you all.

My original intention was to hike the whole PCT, but because of other things in my settled life in BALTIMORE,MD, I cannot commit so much time. I have hiked a lot around the Mid-Atlantic, and my longest backpacking trips have been a little over 1 month, in the Adirondak high peaks wilderness and in the White Mountains on two separate trips in the past two years. I've done a bunch of smaller backpacking and hiking excursions, I'm in LOVE!!!!! OUR BEAUTIFUL EARTH IS SO GLORIOUS!

Anyway, this is my plan, and I'm looking for some advice.

My plan is to hike from Kennedy Meadows north until I-80, and then hitch a ride into Reno. From there I would like to take a train up to Portland, and starting at the Columbia River hike north all of Washington State.

Lots of stuff to figure out, and especially more logistical since I am across the country. However, has anyone ever hiked along I-80. Do you think this is safe for a solo young woman hiker?

In my research thus far it seems like hitching through west to various "trail towns" seems safe enough as long as you have your wits about you.

Thank you in advance,
Pilar