[pct-l] Hennessy Hammock

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Feb 2 23:45:57 CST 2013

> Anybody have experience using this on the PCT (Oregon)?
> I am so drawn to it, but my practical wife tells me I'm nuts.

Only part of your post I don't 'understand' is why you would be nuts!  ;-)
Once you have slept in a properly hung hammock you may well never want to sleep on the ground again!

I started out with a Hennessey many years ago (REI dividend & 20% off), but have since 'moved on' to better hammocks (IMHO)...
I very quickly started to modify and add to it - bought much longer 'tree hugger' straps for far NorCal use (HH only 42" standard),
replaced the stock asym tarp with a larger hex tarp for better bad weather protection, converted to whoopie sling suspension,
bought an underquilt to combat CBS (cold butt syndrome) - & much more comfortable than a pad, side zipper mod (got my HH
long before they offered side zip models), etc.
Though the HH got me started, my primary hammock is now a Warbonnet Blackbird - also converted to whoopie slings...
The "cottage industry" is the way to go re. hammocks, IMO - great selection, quality of craftsmanship, decent prices, etc.

Greatest online resource re. hammocking is <http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/?>...  Check it out!!
Also watch Shug's videos for noobs: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&list=PLB8752777861C2AA8>...
A great up-to-date book: "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen (Kindle edition only $3.99)...
Read the journal of "Luke Sierrawalker" (2012 PCT sobo): <http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=14e9dbdf37367149328e8ac4c7482bbb&entry_id=28227>.

If you want any more info, let me know...
HYOH also means Hang Your Own Hammock (or Hang)...

Happy trails!!! & Happy Hanging, too...
Jim (PITA)