[pct-l] Trail runners vs. hiking boots

Herb Stroh HStroh at sjmslaw.com
Fri Feb 1 15:40:14 CST 2013

Shroomer wrote: "My feet became used to the feeling of the
rocks and contours of the trail and the firmer sole of a new pair of shoes
was not comfortable.  With a thin sole I feel my toes grabbing and my feet
work more like hands.  For me, the firmer the sole, the more prone to foot
pain and discomfort.  I've used trail runners on the PCT and CDT.  On the
PCT I used inserts, arch supports, cushions and anything to cut the pain of
plantar fasciitis toward the end of the hike.  For the CDT, I removed all
inserts and cushions and trained with as thin and flat and soft a sole as
possible and eventually finished the trail with absolutely pain free feet."

Shroomer, thanks for sharing. I have really bad feet. I used orthotics, cushions and the like, but things only got worse. Last year I started barefoot running and hiking in minimalist shoes (Zems). Began with short distances and low miles and can now run 4-5 miles barefoot and hike 14+ nearly barefoot. My feet have continued to strengthen and toughen up. Backpacking has become far less painful for my feet. It is great to hear that I may someday hike pain free if I stick with it.

Herb Stroh