[pct-l] Trail runners vs hiking boots

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Feb 1 14:55:49 CST 2013

Good afternoon, Nikki,

I believe the story about needing heavier and heavier shoes and then
heavier and heavier boots as one’s load becomes greater and the distances
become longer is mostly a canard to influence people to buy whatever they
don’t now have.

Any footwear for walking should be as light as possible as long as it
supplies reasonable cushioning and comfort, and acceptable protection
against sharp rocks and toe stubs.  If such were not the case how could the
dozens of PCT hikers who have chosen sandals manage to complete the trail
over the years?

I don’t promote sandals, but I do really enjoy their freedom.  I have them,
and wear them around home and on local trails, but so far not on long
trails.  For one thing, the popular brands of sandals weigh as much as a
pair of sneakers – which seems really strange to me – and I don’t like the
way sandals collect trash in my socks.

I find little difference between the stiffness of trail running soles vs.
road running soles.  Trail shoes may be somewhat stiffer, while road shoes
may have better cushioning.  I can, and do, wear either interchangeably,
but as Schroomer mentioned I must avoid really stiff soles for long hikes.  I
regularly wear big, tall, thick, heavy logger boots for protection when I’m
working in the woods of my property, and when doing trail work, but for any
long hike the stiffness quickly causes pain in the balls of my feet.  On
one significant hike into Goat Rocks for a 2-week-long trail project I wore
my sneakers on the trail, in and out, while my heavy clod-hopper boots were
tied to the load of a pack mule.

Regardless that the logger boots are as big and as wide as my sneakers,
they eventually hurt.  I believe the reason is this:  Sneakers can move on
my feet in response to the trail surface conditions; every step is slightly
different from the others.  With tall, boots hugging my ankle and leg my
feet are confined and directed to nearly the exact same spots on the hard
sole with every step which causes repetitive stress syndrome.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/