[pct-l] Fishing the PCT/possible ride to and from KO

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 13:47:00 CST 2013

Hi Bill,

Yes, I'm from Mendocino. We lived there for 34 years. Our home was two miles north of town. We bordered the Pt. Cabrillo Nature Preserve and could see the lighthouse one-half mile north - it was the first structure north of us. We could watch the whale migration.There was a large cove with great fishing and abalone,  My wife gave me my trail name. We also had a ranch in Comptche, 15 miles inland. Our horses ran on 70 acres. We could also ride out of Mendocino. We now live in Agua Dulce - the PCT passes through our town. We moved here in 2007. My wife had come down with an incurable case of GRANDSONITIS. She insisted on not just visiting but living near our grandson. I resisted and finally compromised. We compromise for each other. That's why we are still married and in love after 53 years.

In 2007 I was researching the possibility of riding the PCT.  We discovered Agua Dulce and met th Saufleys. It is an equestrian community - lots of horses and good riding. We ride a lot and have discovered various trails the lead us to and from the PCT and through town. We can tie the horses to a hitching rail and get a pizza or burger. We could see the horses while eating.

When you pass through the Sierra there will be lots of snow and many lakes will still be frozen. Later, north of Sierra City, there will be fishing opportunities if you can take the time. You might want to send your fishing kit to Sierra City or to Truckee.

How far north do you think you will get by the Friday morning prior to Saturday of the Kickoff? Last year I offered rides to and from the Kickoff from just two locations - Agua Dulce and Cajon Pass. Drove there on Friday and returned on Sunday. The KO is very worth attending. I have been to three.

I didn't fish in 2008 & 2009. I just wanted to reach Canada. I took my time in 2011 & 2012 and rode during the summer. 2011 was a record snow year. Still had lots of snow and downed trees as I rode south from S. City to Tuolumne. North of the Yosemite border I had to spend a lot of time sawing routes around large downed trees and detouring around snow. It's much easier to hike the PCT than it is to ride it.

Don't forget to bring along some dehydrated veggies for the stew.

MendoRider-Hiker