[pct-l] Trail runners vs hiking boots

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 01:42:21 CST 2013

Just to give another opinion, the trail runners I like best are the ones
with the most miles on them, i.e. the thinest sole, that is before the
uppers give up and fall apart.  My feet became used to the feeling of the
rocks and contours of the trail and the firmer sole of a new pair of shoes
was not comfortable.  With a thin sole I feel my toes grabbing and my feet
work more like hands.  For me, the firmer the sole, the more prone to foot
pain and discomfort.  I've used trail runners on the PCT and CDT.  On the
PCT I used inserts, arch supports, cushions and anything to cut the pain of
plantar fasciitis toward the end of the hike.  For the CDT, I removed all
inserts and cushions and trained with as thin and flat and soft a sole as
possible and eventually finished the trail with absolutely pain free feet.

I have often carried 35lbs total and trail runners were fine.  Your feet
get strong on trail.  Everyone's feet are different and my advice to anyone
in February planning on a spring start is to get training in whatever shoes
you think are right, and that may be full on boots.  Hike with a pack and
see how your feet fare before finding it out on trail.  Much of what will
feel good may change as your feet toughen up over time and miles, but if
your chosen shoes give you pain or blisters, better to find out early.

Shroomer