[pct-l] PCTRI response to the Forest Service upholding PCT mountain biking closure

Todd McMahon isawtman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 21:19:44 CST 2013

Again, what a great opportunity to show how ridiculous PCTRI and the
Mountain Bikers supporting "Bikes on the PCT are.  Here is the funniest
quote from the PCTRI Letter: "The 1978 Code of Federal Regulations
declaration,
which provides that the PCT is primarily intended for foot and horse use,
is not an
impediment to reassessing the current use regime." So, the fact that the PCT
intended users are hikers and horseback riders, and under the law, the
Forest Service
must manage the trail for it's intended users, Well, according to PCTRI that
shouldn't stop the Forest Service from reassessing the PCT for Mountain
Bikes.  I don't know about you, but I think adding hordes of Mountain Bikes
on any part
of the trail is not managing the trail for Hikers and Horseback Riders.  I
think that's fairly
obvious.

And again in the PCTRI Letter they accuse the Forest Service of not
following
proper procedure, but Forester Randy Moore stated the following in his
latest letter dated
November 25, 2013: "Since your initial inquiry, a complete review of the
National Trails System Act legislation, legislative history, regulations
and policies,
PCT CMP, PCT Advisory Council Minutes, and agency correspondence records
has occurred.
Our research documents a legislative and administrative intent that only
hiking and equestrian
use were to be permitted on the PCT. There is no evidence that bicycle use
has ever been allowed on the PCT"

In a following paragraph the Forester writes " The continuation of Regional
Order 88-4, which prohibits
using or possessing bicycles on the PCT, is consistent with legislation,
regulations, directives,
the recommendations of the PCT Advisory Council, and the PCT Comprehensive
Management Plan.
These authorities demonstrate that the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail
was intended to be
administered as a footpath and horseback riding trail."  So, there is wide
spread documentation
that Bikes were never meant to be an intended user

Frankly, I'm surprised that PCTRI has sent a third letter to the Forest
Service.  I suppose
it shows how anal they are about mountain biking.  I feel, as I have stated
several times
before, that they are "Taking Mountain Biking Backwards."   Every hiking
organization
across the country are now leery of Mountain Biking groups.  I have seen
that first
hand here in Wisconsin when I attended a Hiking Trail Meeting.