[pct-l] PCTRI response to the Forest Service upholding PCT mountain biking closure

Nick Thelen nthelen03 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 28 22:26:29 CST 2013

Kem Murray wrote:
"I AGREE with the biker position, as outlined in this letter.

Don't blow a gasket.

I agree with this, because going through an exhaustive process, involving lawyers,
facilitators, advocates and everything else will result in a PERMANENT, crystal
clear ruling on the issue.

I believe the legal position is that strong. I am not afraid.

I also think that putting the bikers through that process will sap their
resources tremendously, and significantly damage their advocacy organizations.

When individual bikers discover that they were misled, and their money was
spent on crazy unrealistic goals, they will quit in disgust. Right now, they
are being fed an unopposed diet of misinformation....sort of like the Tea Party.

Plus, the higher profile emerging from this very public process will make it
virtually impossible for scofflaws to plead ignorance."

I'm confused Mr. Murray....what "ruling" are you talking about?

And what "resources" and "money" is being spent?

These meetings (prompted by the USFS) are on their dime...and to discuss
finding a compromise for additional access to our national trail system...

Now, the PCTA may very well be adamant on the no bikes stance...but they do not make
the rules.

In short:
There is no "ruling"
There is not money spent, or exhaustive processes

There is an open invitation between us and other professional associations to
discuss a compromise.

And you may not like it, or even believe it...but the current "ban" in place is tenuous at best.
That is why we are now at the table, so to speak.

Otherwise why on earth would the USFS respond multiple times, have multiple meetings with us, and
offer to organize a professionally facilitated discussion?

Love,
Nick