[pct-l] When will I need a Bear canister

Stephen Clark rowriver at gmail.com
Wed Dec 25 23:00:15 CST 2013

John,

I agree that having one from Sonora Pass to Kennedy Meadows is advisable,
however they are only *required* SOBO from about Lake Mary to McGee Pass,
also south of Marjory Lake, about 4 miles, through Yosemite to 6 or 7 miles
north of Shepard Pass Trail and again in the Mt Whitney area from about 5
+/- miles north of Hitchcock Lakes to a bit south of Cottonwood Pass Trail.

I know it's a pain to carry one for a long time but, even though these are
the only areas where canisters are 'required,' I  always use one from just
north of Lake Tahoe to Kennedy Meadows... because you just never know.

I have seen a mother black bear send her cubs up a tree (where food bags
are hung) after having taught them to jump out to the bag and ride it to
the ground. They just kind of bounce and end up getting a good meal, and
you... you are left in the middle of nowhere with nothing.

I have shared with more than one hiker that lost their food this way.

Snake Charmer