[pct-l] Gatewood Cape

Meike dideldadum at web.de
Sun Dec 1 11:28:19 CST 2013

Hi,

I' new to this list, have been reading along for some weeks... thanks
for all the information, everyone!

I have a gatewood cape (plus a serenity net tent) and used it for 3
weeks in the pyrenees so far. I'm not totally happy with it. I'm not
decided yet if I will use it at least in the desert parts of the PCT (I
will try a thru next summer). But I will at least have the gatewood in
my bounce box as a backup if my MYOG tent (yet to be born ) will not
hold up as well as expected.

What I like:
- quite roomy (without the serenity net tent, at least)
- nearly no condensation in tent-mode
- light

What I dont like:
- I didnt manage a really nice taught pitch, it keeps flapping. I would
not trust it in higher winds. I met several other gatewood user with the
same problems.
- In poncho-mode wind is even worse, even though I used the lines as
"belt" it flapped all around me.
- Walking with poncho in dense vegetation: forget it... big danger of
ripping your shelter apart.

Maybe it works better for you as you are used to ponchos... but it is
really a lot of fabric around your legs.
Hope that helps your decision,
Meike

PS: Please excuse my english... I give my very best