[pct-l] Trail Section in Goat Rocks

William Canavan wecanavan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 18:06:51 CDT 2013

Hi Lollygag,
I asked the trail maintainer for this section about the change of signs and
trails.  He said the official route has always been routed across the
glacier with the stock route.  He said hikers just started going up and
around on their own to avoid the scary glacier crossing, but up and over
has always been the alternate route.  He said the sign that pointed and
said "Hiker Route"/"Stock Route" was a mistake and never should have been
placed.  Now that the Packwood Glacier has receded almost to extinction it
was felt it was time to build the official trail on the official route.
 This wasn't a reroute.  It sounds though that you and others prefer the
alternate, and I don't know the future of that.
Little Brown