[pct-l] Trail section in Goat Rocks being rebuilt

Betty Wheeler bettywheeler at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 07:23:45 CDT 2013

Lollygag,
Thanks for your comments. I didn't focus on the trail designation issue
because I wasn't involved in that  -- I was simply involved in the trail
maintenance work. (Nor did I write the subject line for my email -- I
replied to a post by my fellow crew member, Bill Canavan.)

If I understand correctly from the prior signage, plus the trail
designations on halfmile's map, the lower route was previously designated
as the stock route and the upper route was designated as the hiker route,
but both were official routes, or as you call it, "the REAL trail." In
actuality, when we started our work on the stock route, it was in such bad
shape that it seemed very unlikely that stock could use it, and at least
one hiker backtracked after trying to cross it from the south end, deeming
it too sketchy. I hiked both routes at the midpoint of our work week, and
personally thought the stock route was much sketchier than the hiker route,
because there was no trail at all through a steep talus/ice/snow section,
with slate-type rocks that were quite slippery. A Sept. 2012 report on the
condition and dangers of the stock trail can be read here:
http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2012-09-05.1055658529

Having said that, even with the trail formerly known as the stock trail in
better shape, as it will be shortly, I would personally opt for the higher
route in most cases (except perhaps in high wind, no view conditions),
since the views are even more spectacular than those from the stock route.
However, I'm not the kind of person who would be concerned that someone
will conclude that I didn't hike "the" PCT because in a stretch of less
than one mile, I opted for a designated PCT alternate route.

As to why the decision was made to change the signage, I can only
speculate. It may be that because the entire PCT is supposed to be open to
riders and their horses as well as hikers, the powers-that-be decided that
the former stock trail should be the official trail, since it is can be
navigated by both hikers and stock, while the higher route should be marked
"PCT alternate - Old Snowy," since many people would be interested in
opting for that route. The PCTA website describes this section as including
"a traverse of the Packwood Glacier," so perhaps the change was more in the
signage than the actual trail designation; I don't really know. I don't
have any reason to think the PCT alternate will be less-maintained because
of the change in signage, but in part, that's because the higher trail does
not need the high level of maintenance the trail we worked on does -- there
isn't a steep rock slope above it, subject to freeze-thaw conditions that
send huge boulders down to batter or obliterate the trail, as is the case
on the trail we worked on.

In any event, I certainly know that the trail crew's work was greatly
facilitated by the packers and their animals who brought in our work tools
and group supplies about 7 miles up to our group camp site (but not to our
work site, given the conditions) -- and after talking with and observing
not only our crew of packers, but also equestrians who were enjoying the
trail south of the section we worked on, I have an enhanced appreciation of
the significance of the trail for equestrians.

As for a "huge speed advantage" for future speed record attempts, I'd say
two things. First, given the big variation in conditions from year to year
over the full length of the trail (snow and water levels, downed trees,
landslides, and many other variable trail conditions), records or record
attempts are never going to involve exact equivalents -- certainly not like
running a mile on indoor tracks that can all share virtually identical
conditions. Second, given the length of the trail, it seems unlikely that a
segment of trail less than a mile in length can result in a huge advantage
of any type.

Lollygag, if you should find that the PCT alternate formerly known as the
"hiker route" has fallen into disrepair, let me know and I'll lobby for and
participate in a trail crew to fix it! For now, there are probably other
things more worthy of mourning.

Betty