[pct-l] Who Pissed in Your Cheerios?

linsey mowoggirl at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 27 23:17:38 CDT 2013

Dear Yogi

It is with absolutely no shame whatsoever that I broadcast loud and clear that I've completed ZERO thru hikes of the PCT.

In 2006, at nearly age 40, I went on my very first hiking trip, 160ish miles that included the 50 mile condemned section around Glacier Peak.

Every year  since I've at least gotten out section hiking and have made two SOBO thru attempts  in 2009 and 2010, each time completing about 1/3 of the trail--I've yet to make it past Crater Lake (from the top of the trail).  The first time I came in for injury, the second was mental as I came in for a friends memorial service and didn't manage to get back out (the food was so easy and my Husband so appealing).

My SOBO attempts have been doomed from the start as I haven't enough snow skills to attempt a normal SOBO start and I won't put Search and Rescue in that position, I wait until the snow melts hence the trailname Lollygag.  Mind you, consolidated Sierra snow wouldn't daunt me, but WA snow is much more challenging as off trail travel is not often an option like it is down South.

All told, I have over 2400 cumulative PCT trail miles and FRANKLY I am much more cheerful and comfortable hiking in the rain than practically everyone I see out there.  My kit is dialed in and I absolutely love it--I sew alot of my own gear, even though my Husband works at at Feathered Friends and gets a great discount.

In 2009, when I tore meniscus in my knee 25 miles North of Crater Lake and had to hobble that huge waterless section injured,  I cried like a baby at the Rim when I faced the fact my hike was over.   For a very long time I considered  myself and the attempt a utter failure.

Now I know better, 850 miles alone on the PCT is a marvelous achievement in my and many others eyes and I am hugely proud of doing it twice (despite not finishing), and would definitely try again (in an El Nino year).  In the meantime, I at least like to get out to attempt  WA every year which is the best part of the trail anyway.

Go ahead and be an imperious elitist purist, but I know that ANY time spent on the PCT is magic.  Just try telling someone with mobility problems that 850 miles is a fail...good luck with that.

Loving to Despise You and Your Foul Temper,
Lollygag

[pct-l] Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCTJackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 22:42:21 CDT 2013