[pct-l] Williamson attempting to regain unsupported PCT speed record NOW!

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 21 00:22:19 CDT 2013

Gary wrote:

These are _AMAZING_ accomplishments, why try to force a phony and
unnecessary adjective onto it? It just cheapens it.

There's a huge difference between having a prearranged person meet you at
every trailhead with fresh supplies vs. having to do your resupply yourself.
Over the course of a record attempt the first style would automatically have
at least a couple of days' advantage.  I think it's fair and useful to
distinguish between the two styles.

Of course, when it's all said and done a speed record for a thruhike is a
pretty fuzzy thing that's open to interpretation.  The trail is never
exactly the same for any two hikes.  At the level that Scott and Anish and
others are performing, the difference between setting a new record or not
depends *heavily* on lots of good luck in terms of weather, fires, reroutes,
amount of blowdown, trail maintenance, snow, and yes, trail magic.  It's not
like running the 100 meter sprint at the Olympics.  It's not reproducible.
I think most people are aware of that and take it in that spirit.  Thruhike
speed records are interesting to talk about but they shouldn't be taken too
seriously.

Eric