[pct-l] What the PCT is really like?

Jeffrey Olson jjolson60 at centurylink.net
Wed Aug 14 22:34:57 CDT 2013

Just imagine you hate what you're doing.  You hurt physically, either a
pain that floats through all parts of the body or a heavy lassitude that
makes you feel like you're walking through mud.  You hurt spiritually
because you realize what you're doing is empty and nothing more than
putting one foot in front of the other for a reason that no longer
exists. And you hurt emotionally.  You are alone and the moment
stretches forwards and backwards and the minutes flow so slowly.  The
stark realityis the infinite, empty present.  And you're just hurting-
heart aching, tears flowing as you walk, or angry and confused - missing
friends and familyand the couch and beer and sports and your womanor
man.  You feel the waves of suffering just washthrough you.  You want
nothing more than to get off the god damn trail and get back to living.

Believe it or not, some version of this happens to almost everyonewho
walks for six weeks or more.

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD