[pct-l] Anish

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Wed Aug 7 01:10:13 CDT 2013

Trail magic happens - usually at random times and places by random
individuals. Perhaps the significant difference between a supported and
unsupported journey lies in who plans and/or coordinates said magic
(howsoever defined).

If I as the hiker arrange for someone else to provide me with something at a
prearranged location on a prearranged schedule, then there is a good
argument to be made that my hike is supported. If I merely take advantage of
whatever appears whenever and wherever it may, the same argument can be made
that my hike is not supported. For all I know, no magic may appear; the
water caches may be empty, as may be the shelves at the store during a town
stop. I am merely taking advantage of something available to anyone who
comes along at the correct time. The mere act of sending resupply packages
to myself, buying supplies locally along the way, or setting caches for
myself, does not violate the concept of unsupported. If I arrange for
someone to meet me along the trail with supplies, I can no longer claim
non-support.

Wandering Bob