[pct-l] Eagle Creek alternate - do mapmakers reflect or define reality?

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 1 23:39:55 CDT 2013

Seeking to correct an asterisk on my PCT diploma, I intended to follow the Gorge trail and then the Eagle Creek trail from

Cascade Locks to Wahtum Lake where this alternate connects with the official, equestrian route that descends via Benson Plateau.

I'd hiked at least to 7 1/2
mile camp in the 1970's but hadn't done the Eagle Creek alternate since I started intentionally section hiking the whole PCT.

But as I studied my maps I realized I had a quandary - the Wilderness Press describes the alternate as following the Eagle
Creek trail from Wahtum Lake to the Gorge trail.       But halfmile's map describes the route starting at Indian Springs,
taking the Indian Springs trail to Eagle Creek trail, and then deviating from the Gorge trail at the end to follow the paved bike
path into Cascade Locks.      The latest edition of Yogi's book seconds these motions.

So what's the official unofficial route anyway?      Revised maps have been cause for warfare at various times in history, but this
seems less contentious than that.      Still, if you want to make a point of hiking the whole trail, maybe you need to do all the
principal alternates too (there's a bunch around Mt Hood).     And what about the parts of the official route that have been
closed for years with no sign of ever reopening?   (I'm thinking about the frog closure in the Angeles NF).

I thought about these points as I climbed up the Indian Springs trail.     Schaffer describes it as pretty bad news going down and
worse going up.       With an average grade of 20%, there have to be some parts more like 30%.

However I found the ascent tolerable on a cool day (July 28),

and my achy old joints would have much less enjoyed coming down that steep grade.
Still it was mostly shaded and most of the tread was in very good condition.     Somebody had even sawn a number of 4" trees
that had fallen at awkward heights - recently, some time this year.      There are still a number of trees across the trail, but easily
stepped over.

Somebody who was absent-mindedly expecting a formal trail junction with the PCT would have missed it and perhaps cruised
on down to Wahtum Lake anyway before noticing.      But the Indian Springs trail ends at the Indian Springs Campground road
about 40 yards or so from where the PCT crosses the same road and the two trails are not in sight of each other.
But if you searched for the actual Indian Spring, you'd find the trail too.

I suppose the resolution to my quandary would be to go back and hike the 3 miles back and forth on the Eagle Creek trail
between the Indian Springs trail junction and the PCT junction.       If I ever go back to Wahtum Lake - a long drive from the nearest
freeway - maybe I'll do that.