[pct-l] Fires in Oregon

JoAnn jomike at cot.net
Thu Aug 1 11:48:28 CDT 2013

I contacted Ian Nelson, the Regional Coordinator for southern OR and northern CA,  yesterday as to how the fires may be be effecting the PCT, etc. Below is his responses.

“There a several significant wildfires burning in Southern Oregon but as of this morning they are all well west of the PCT.  However, there is significant smoke in the area and the Rogue Valley’s air quality has been downgraded to hazardous.  So, no sections of PCT directly affected yet but it is very smoky.

I would suggest you encourage hikers to keep the 888-PCTRAIL number handy as we’ll update that with any trip altering conditions.  Our new web site also still has a trail conditions section and Jack Haskel in our Sacramento regularly updates the blog with current information.”

are we there yet