[pct-l] severe dehydration danger on the trail

surferskir at aol.com surferskir at aol.com
Mon Apr 29 22:47:07 CDT 2013

I agreed.  How can these people call themselves long distance hikers?
I took several people out to ADZPCTKO/Campo from San Diego last week.  The first group of three (Monday) had one experienced hiker and two who had never attempted anything of this sort.  I helped them with their packs.  The two inexperienced hikers' packs weighed at least 40 pounds, each!
Received an e-mail from th eleader after the end of day two.  They had made it to Boudler Oaks ~ 26 miles. The two inexperience ones had dropped out.  One had brand new equipement, including boots.  Got blisters and could not continue.  The other, a real skiney guy carrying about 45 pounds said he "had enough".  Earlier in the week it had been colder, so they didn't worry about dehydration..  The magazines and the threads make it sound like "cool" adventure, but the newbies don't know how difficult a long distance hike is.  The planning is only about 25% of the hike.

Some of the others that I gave rides to probaly aren't going to make it past Mt. Laguna.  Many only had 4-5 days hikes under their experience belt, many from back east where it is cooler. Out West they didn't have a clue, for the most part.
While I was at the trailhead, one guy on Thursday showed up when it was real hot at mid-day.   He lifted his pack (big!) from the back of the truck that had brought him dressed in a pair of shorts like swimmng trunks, a thin white tee shirt and "tennis shoes",  and took off.  He hadn't a clue to what to expect.

I wish them luck, beccause they will need it!
--Dennis--