[pct-l] Post walk across America. The PCT Next?

Dan Jacobs youroldpaldan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 05:11:10 CDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Devon Taig <devon.taig at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Not *engaging in activism is to tacitly voice approval for the status quo.
>  Silence *is* activism for that which exists rather than for that which is
> desired.

This is assuming that there is no activism being done in any way off
trail, which I think is not necessarily true, but often jumped to as a
conclusion because they aren't agreeing with what may be your
viewpoint. I think it is pretty clear that those on a thru-hike really
don't care what your particular orientation or lifestyle choice may be
off trail as long as you are cool to everyone on trail. I know I could
care less until someone decides to be a jerk, then it's time to decide
to walk or let them get far enough ahead that it doesn't matter
anymore.

Folks are voicing their opinions about what they want to have as part
of their on-trail experience, and that has to be respected. They
wouldn't have bothered to take the time to write it out if it didn't
matter to them, so think on that as you decide how you will advertise
your activism on trail. Do you want folks to appreciate your message,
or not?

The assumption that there are not other times that folks are reaching
out to their political "leaders" (I find it difficult to just type
that) to voice their opinions about the issues, or living their own
lives as if they agree with your belief, is simply an assumption
because no one asked. I personally don't think that any activism
belongs on the trail, but I will never tell anyone to stop what they
are doing unless they are harming someone in some real way. Bottom
line, I can always speed up or slow down, and not bother with it
anymore. We are all free to speak our mind, as long as no is harmed in
some real way by what we say.

Everyone, activist or otherwise, must simply Hike Their Own Damn Hike.
It's not difficult to avoid what you want to avoid as far as a person,
an attitude, or activism. Just choose to ignore it. Hike on, and
continue with *your* very own experience.

Dan Jacobs
Washougal
--
"Loud motorcycle stereos save lives."