[pct-l] Post walk across America. The PCT Next?

Hollywood 100marathonsorg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 13:08:28 CDT 2013

I'd encourage people to take a step back and consider the different ways
the PCT can help people deliver a message.

Last year I hiked for a cause, multiple sclerosis.  My images and stories
gave me an interesting story to tell that people want to listen to online
and in person.  I was able to use the internet to raise over $11,000 for
the MS Society this way.  I used that story as a way to start the
conversation and ask for support for MS.  BUT I didn't carry a sign or try
to disseminate my cause on trail.  I'd talk about it if asked, but in
general many hikers I was around didn't even know.

My point?  Use your story, not the trail, to spread your message.  If the
PCT is part of your story, more people will want to listen to what you have
to say.  The people you meet on the trail will become much more than
contacts to give your message to.  And those outside of the trail community
will connect your story and cause much more naturally than your hiking
friends.  People on trail are so loving, transient, and broke anyway that
you can't convince them to be more accepting (they already are) you can't
get them to volunteer more than a day (when would they hike?) and you cant
get money from them (they don't have any) :)

Cheers
Hollywood