[pct-l] IT BAND INJURY

Jim Marco jdm27 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 25 13:16:28 CDT 2013

Well, there are a lot of muscles/connective tissues in that area. Sorry, I am no medical doctor. But, if you have been hiking fairly hard, it could just be a "training" injury. I have experienced this, even when I was running a 1/3-1/2 marathon (7-10mi) daily. Walking 15-20mi a day with a load, even 25-30 pounds, is just not the same as running for a couple hours. This will usually heal up in two or three days with light use. Fall back to 5-10mi/day for a couple days and see what happens. If it gets worse, it may require therapy. But, sore hips and knees are *my* normal for the first few weeks of a long hike. I can hope you will heal in short order. Alieve (ibuprofen) may help, as long as it doesn't mask any serious pain. Training is never the same as being out there. I think you will find it is just "stiff" after a couple days, not really painful. Eventually it won't even bother you.

I have never been so bad I could NOT hike, though. Just prone to being sore...no fun. I chalked it up to old age and just kept going, though with a limp, for a couple short days. Good Luck!
	My thoughts only . . .
		jdm