[pct-l] hiking with a partner

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Apr 19 11:35:41 CDT 2013

I've seen groups in clumps, hiking 5' apart, 10' apart, 100' apart, and
a quarter mile or more apart.  I've hiked "with" someone when we were
having conversations, but that doesn't happen often.

My hiking partner hikes a quarter to half a mile an hour faster than I
do.  We "never" hike together.  He'll take longer breaks than I when he
wants me catch up.  He'll wait at important trail junctions or stream
crossings.  He compromises by taking more time to smell the flowers.  I
compromise by taking shorter breaks.

We meet up for lunch and at an agreed on campspot.  We lounge and eat
dinner together and sleep in different tents, far enough apart we can't
hear each other snore.  I've seen groups put their tents up right next
to each other and carry  on conversations until they fall asleep.

My guess is your friend will grow into hiking and get comfortable with
the distance you need, and you'll get comfortable with her process of
getting comfortable.

Jeff...