[pct-l] Late permit application.

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Apr 17 15:39:50 CDT 2013

To hike the trail without the thru-hiker permit, you need a hodge-
podge of permits. If you want to go with your option 1 you will need
to get two permits ASAP for the San Jacinto wilderness. This is
because it is managed by two agencies.

1. San Jacinto wilderness permit from California state parks
Applications for overnight permits will be accepted up to 56 days (8
weeks) in advance; if you apply by mail, send your request in at
least 10 days in advance. Sorry, no telephone or FAX requests can be
accepted.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=636

2. A wilderness permit from the Forest Service
The United States Forest Service has a similar permit system in
effect for wilderness areas in national forests; these permits are
issued at U.S.F.S. Headquarters, P.O. Box 518, Idyllwild, California
92549. The U.S.F.S. phone number is: (951) 659-2117.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5177273.pdf

You can obtain these both by mail. It does take them a while to
process so do it ASAP.

Your option #2 might be just as fast as option 1 and you'll only have
to deal with one agency.

I have been stopped for permits every time I've been in the San
Jacinto wilderness.