[pct-l] Labeling packages with fuel

Hollywood 100marathonsorg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 15:10:57 CDT 2013

Hey Ashley,

Yes, this can be a problem.  Not on the receiving end, but on the sending
end.  It IS legal but many postmasters don't know this.  You'll want to
print out the regulations and have them in hands when you go to the PO.
 You can find them on google pretty easily.  Prepare to explain the rules
to the postmaster.  Many have never read them, they utilize picture flow
charts to make most decisions.  I tried to mail some in San Diego and they
wouldnt let me.  I mailed them from KO no problem.  Or it may not be a
problem at all, it varies.

My recommendation would be to resupply fuel along the way (this is mostly
doable with either heet or canisters) and ASLO bounce along a backup fuel
box.  The hardest part is getting it into the system.  Once the box is in
the mail system, you can forward it along really easily and the PO wont
question it.  This way, you will have a backup in case you can't get fuel
in a certain town but if all goes well you'll never have to open the
bouncing fuel box.

BTW I used a jetboil and those canisters last like 400 miles if you dont
simmer stuff (which I never do- just boil, add food, and wait).  So if you
use canisters this is easy.  If you're using heet and have to forward to
your next stop you could beat the box there.  I always bounced my fuel box
to my stop after next.

Hope that helps
Hollywood