[pct-l] Trail names!

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Apr 12 20:01:49 CDT 2013

Trail names are a little silly in some ways.

My first trail name was "Little Albino Girl." This is because the
first time I led a Sierra Club Hike I was trying to impress upon the
large group of obviously out-of-shape beginner hikers that this was a
very strenuous hike, probably the hardest one in the area. I'm only
5'3" tall, blond hair, female and I have a body more advantageous for
long distance hiking and weight lifting, not running, ballet or
gymnastics. Anyway, as I was really trying to make the hike sound
scary, these two women were overheard say "If that little albino girl
can do it, how hard can it be?" 50% of the hikers on that hike turned
around in the first hour or so and I was teased forever for what
those two women called me. They were among the 50%.

For the PCT I didn't know what to do. I met people at first when
nobody had trail names yet and said that my trail name at home was
Little Albino Girl. Nobody wanted to use that name and I didn't sound
all that fond of it anyway. To avoid getting a name that might
embarrass me, I decided I would just call myself Piper because I play
an Irish whistle and I like birds and a Piper is both. So I started
telling people that was my name.

On my 2nd PCT hike, I hiked way in front of the pack. I started to
not like having a trail name. Real life is out on the trail. Why
can't the real me be there too? I should have a fake work name instead.

These days I'm more likely to just tell people my real name,
especially after spending some time on the CDT and getting used to
how most people don't use trail names there. Makes more sense to me.

Diane