[pct-l] Unhealthy side effects of long term AquaMira use?

Kristin Hamann aggie03.kh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 19:07:12 CDT 2013

Chlorine dioxide is used by many municipal water supplies as disinfection
and is highly effective against most bugs you will encounter in the
backcountry, the exception being Cryptosporidium which you are likely to
encounter.  Most cases of Cryptosporidium are self-limiting in
immunocompetent individuals.  Most of the chlorine will evaporate, unless
it is kept sealed in your water bladder or Nalgene (which it will be,
right?).  Any chemical you add has the potential to kill off some of your
normal GI flora as well, which by itself can make you sick but also
potentially make you more susceptible to future infection.  I suspect this
is why some people discover that they are more likely to get sick if they
stop using Aqua Mira (having a healthy GI flora makes any pathogens you
consume less likely to infect you).  No product is likely to remove or kill
100% of pathogens, that's why you have an immune system.
Personally I will be filtering my water if I cannot see the source of the
spring.  Another product that is pricey but worth considering is Align if
you develop problems, or even just Acidophilus.
See links below on water treatment.  I find the CDC link particularly
helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_dioxide

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw/mdbp/pdf/alter/chapt_4.pdf

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html