[pct-l] Cookless

Matthew Edwards iceaxehikes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 11:10:10 CDT 2013

Thank goodness for spam packets, cheddar cheese, and tortillas.

Instant coffee packets like Starbucks Via and cheaper Nescafe and Folgers
mix up just fine in cold water given vigorous shaking.
My favorite memory of such a coffee shake was made with the waters of Lava
spring along the PCT... iced coffee made with volcanic spring water!

Stoveless can be seriously liberating.
Stopping to roll some peanut butter, nutella, and honey burritos and hiking
on into dusk while munching has provided me with as many warm memories as
sitting and cooking on a stove at camp.

To each their own, just want to point out thatg stoveless does not mean
'poverty' of experience.

The major exception is in snow country.
There is survival value in being able to boil water for hot water bottles.

If I hiked the PCT NOBO again it would be stoveless except for the Sierra.

Some traditionally cooked meals can be rehydrated in cold water but I won't
get into that here.
That sort of thing is an aquired taste for sure.