[pct-l] looking for opinions on Platypus GravityWorks Filter

Anthony Biegen ajbiegen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 13:11:03 CDT 2013

Gideon Scher <gideonscher at gmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone know of/have any comments about the Platypus GravityWorks Filter
>System Bottle Kit - 2 Liter?? (for a solo hiker)

I also looked at the GravityWorks Filter system. We went on a day hike with
a firefighter who is a potential PCT hiker later in the year and he had
one. I was impressed with how quickly it filtered (no squeezing) water with
no effort. Since I a hiking through the giardia section of the trail
(Hikertown to Trail Pass) in a week, I was (am) concerned about the quality
of the water sources.

I went to REI with my dividend check (did I really spend that much money at
REI last year?) a 20% coupon and a gift certificate. They only had one
GravityWorks and it was the 4 liter version. Seemed too big to me. I didn't
get it and thought I would sleep on it.

Piper assured me that my Aqua Mira (whic REI doesn't carry) would be enough
in the area. Hiking in Santa Barbara backcountry we are used to drinking
some pretty foul looking water - yellow after you filter it. I guess it is
just too much information hearing for years about all the people that got
sick in these sections. So I'll probably just go with Aqua Mira.

Anyway, I looked at Amazon and they sell just the filter bit for about
$35.00 or so. If you already have Platypus bags, like I do, you can rig up
your own system pretty easily. Save yourself some $60.

--
Best,

TrailHacker