[pct-l] Things you wish you knew before you hiked the PCT...and rain pants

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Apr 6 08:23:29 CDT 2013

Good morning, Casey,

I began hiking what eventually became the PCT almost 50 years ago so I
didn’t have any preconceived notions – I just wanted to hike.

As far as rain gear, my methods can be seen at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265651

I don’t often wear real rain pants because they don’t ventilate well at
their top.  I much prefer simple SilNylon chaps that have good top
ventilation.  Better ventilation with good rain protection can be had with
a poncho or a rain skirt – and I’ve used them both – but for more serious
Pacific NW rain protection I like the additional warmth of an enclosed chap
leg even though it’s open top and bottom.

Possibly the simplest rain skirt can be made from a large, plastic garbage
bag:  Slit open the bottom, step in, and snug the top drawstring around
your waist.  Done, and very effective.

I made my own chaps using the leg of a pair of blue jeans as a rough
pattern.  With one simple, straight seam up the outsides, and a belt loop,
they were done.  Mine were crude because they were built as a prototype but
because they performed so well they are still in use today.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/