[pct-l] Buying larger shoes

Justin West cjustinwest at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 20:47:14 CDT 2013

When I started the PCT I ignored advice to buy larger shoes.  i
thought...my feet didn't swell on the AT, why would they on the PCT.  Boy
was I wrong.  A combination of hot sunny exposed so cal trail making for
some at times unnoticeably hot shoes as well as the fact that  I am now in
my thirty's led to me south of Wrightwood taking a knife to my shoes and
literally cutting them open.  i went from an 11 to a 12.  Also, I haven't
come back down... some of that expansion was permanent.  I highly highly
recommend larger shoes on the PCT.  I also recommend NOT getting goretex,
especially for your so cal pair.

btw, I have a pair of new Salomon XA Pro 3d Ultra 2 NON gortex mens 11.5
for sale if anyone is interested.  As you can guess, they no longer fit me.