[pct-l] A question about sending resupply boxes

Jackie McDonnell yogihikes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 19:05:17 CDT 2013

In 2012, Matt and I had a friend send our maildrops.  We prepared and taped
them shut ahead of time, which we can do with no worries, because we both
know EXACTLY what we need/want to eat (Matt has 25,000+ miles, and I have
19,000+ miles).  We don't need to ask our home resupply person to
add/subtract anything from our boxes.  We have it down to a crazy science
by now.

We labeled each box with a number.  We made a list of our boxes, left a
copy with Steve (our resupply person).  We also kept a copy of the list in
our gmail.

Every 10 days or so, we would send Steve a text/email which read something
like this:

Send box 7 to XXXXX location.  Must be in the mail no later than XXXXX date.
Send box 8 to XXXXX location.  Must be in the mail no later than XXXXX date.
Send box 9 to XXXXX location.  Must be in the mail no later than XXXXX date.

We tried to "order" 3-ish boxes with each email/text.  By doing this, Steve
didn't have to go to the PO every week.  He could go once every 2 weeks or
so.

We had maildrops for most of our resupply locations.  However, every month
or so, we had one location where we bought food in a town with a good
supermarket.  That allowed us to change things up a bit.

Oh!  And even though we were hiking as a couple, our food was completely
separate. That's important.

You *MUST* have a conversation with your resupply person which goes
something like this:  "I'm counting on you.  If you do not get the box in
the mail as requested, I won't have any food."  Okay, you should phrase it
nicer than that, but the bottom line is:  your home resupply person must
understand that he/she has a very important job.  AND, you *MUST* recognize
that your home resupply person has more going on than just your life.  It's
all about respect.  It goes both ways.

Your home resupply person will probably be "*VERY* excited to do your
maildrops.  In fact, we hadn't even considered Steve when we were thinking
of a resupply person. Steve's wife Beth wanted to do the boxes, then Steve
was so into it, that he became our go-to person.

Yogi
www.pcthandbook.com