[pct-l] A question about sending resupply boxes

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Tue Apr 2 19:02:59 CDT 2013

Timothy is correct - you cannot mail fuel priority mail. The official
labeling for shipping boxes  containing isobutane canisters is
"Surface Mail Only
Consumer Commodity ORM-D".

Our experience is that from the East Coast it can take a couple of weeks to
get to the post offices along the PCT.  I would suggest buying a few
canisters for the first couple of drops in San Diego. Maybe even ship a
small box with a canister ahead to an early food drop. You should have
sufficient lead time for others to be shipped from Atlanta.

See my webpage for more info. http://www.gottawalk.com/shipping_fuel.htm
The US Postal Service web pages have moved, but the regs have not changed.
Take a printout of the webpage with you to the PO. That seems to convince
the postal clerks.

Ken