[pct-l] Buying larger shoes

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Tue Apr 2 07:16:35 CDT 2013

Gretchen,

There is no one perfect answer for this, but here's a couple of things you can do to reduce the toe-jamming effect.  First, tie a surgeon's knot in your shoe laces at the point where the laces cross under the instep.  (Google "surgeon's knot" - it's just 3 overhand knots in sequence).  This is supposed to keep the foot from sliding forward so much.

Second, with oversized shoes (or at least oversized toebox), you can move your toes around, even curl them under somewhat on downhills.  This reduces the time they are hitting the front of the shoe.

Finally, try going downhill with a side-to-side stride, almost like you are skating.  That tends to put more pressure on the sides of your foot and less on the toes.  Think vectors - less on the y-axis and more on the x-axis.

Good luck.

Mango