[pct-l] Slowest PCT Thru Hike -- sorry

Chris Anderson srhspaded at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 21:44:36 CDT 2012

Depending on when you start (early april) and plan to finish (mid/late sept.), 20 miles per day average is doable with a zero per week.  Of course, you will be pushing your luck though as far as time.  25 miles per day sounds intimidating, which is why you would want to start training now.  Of course there are those that would advocate starting slower than 20 miles per day, and I for one do not buy into the "condition yourself on the trail" talk, but I think with proper conditioning (and by conditioning, I mean months of hiking and backpacking miles to get your feet to core used to constant hiking) you should be able to at least do 15 miles per day from the start and by the time you you reach a comfortable 25 mile per day level, you can make up that time and some.  Plenty of people that do the PCT aren't great athletes, but if you can hardly walk after 30 miles in two days, you're probably not in the shape you need to be in yet.