[pct-l] footwear and trainers

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:24:55 CDT 2012

Linda wrote:

What about ankle support and those rocky trail surfaces? My ankles aren't
what they used to be. I've always worn boots that support the ankle, but
then I'm a Northwesterner and snow is always present. My friend and I are
doing sections of the PCT and have done almost all of WA. I realize in SoCal
especially the boots will be little saunas in the heat, but I'm afraid for
my ankle.

A few of us do still wear lightweight leather boots for a variety of
reasons.  If you're comfortable with trail runners and want to use them,
that's a great choice, but if you want to wear boots and have good reasons
for doing so then do it and don't let anyone browbeat you about it.

Remember that even in the world of boots there is a wide range of weight and
comfort.  Heavy-duty mountaineering boots probably aren't a great choice in
any case but there are some that are designed more for walking.  For
example, I use the Lowa Renegade (the leather-lined model rather than
Gortex).  They may not be a great match for your feet but they get along
very well with mine.  They weigh 2 lbs. 7 oz. per pair which is definitely
heavier than running shoes but not excessive in my opinion.

Eric