[pct-l] The AT and cyclists

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Mon Oct 29 15:13:10 CDT 2012

RE: Any movement by mountain bikers to get access to the AT.

The National Trails System Act of 1968 defined the existing/proposed National
Scenic Trails. It specifically states for the Appalachian Trail:

"The Appalachian Trail shall be administered primarily as a footpath by the
Secretary of the Interior, in consultation with the Secretary of Agriculture."

When the bill was written, the Appalachian Trail was well established and had a
strong association to protect their vision.

The fact that it is stated "primarily as a footpath" ensures that it cannot be
opened to mountain bikes except by an act of Congress. Given that Congress has
refused to act even as we careen toward the fiscal cliff (please excuse my one
bipartisan political statement) it is extremely unlikely that the AT will be
opened to MBers.

IMBA definitely has their sights on Wilderness and started several years ago to
propose alternate designations that they feel will allow mountain bikes. The
MBers are trying to define a thin line since they hate dirt bikes. They cite the
difference in speed and weight and how that impacts their safety. Hmmmmm.