[pct-l] Trail Use Problems

Hootie Martin hootie2006 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:28:24 CDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Ernie Castillo <erniec01 at
hotmail.com <http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l>>
wrote:
>* I continue to enjoy the PCT-L discussion threads, although I shudder at some of the venting.*>* I hope a compromise can be reached to protect the trail from erosion and overuse and allow*>* bicyclists the mean to get off the pavement and enjoy the roads less traveled.*

Brick Responded:
>>The already can.

>>They are allowed to ride on most  trails.

>>They will not be happy they can ride EVERY single track, including the
>>PCT and wilderness.

>>This is what "Compromise" means to the MTB community

I have read with interest the heated debate re: trail use and have yet to
respond until now.  This is not in direct reference to either of the posts
included above, but more of a general comment.

As a point of reference, I thru-hiked the PCT in 2006 and during that hike,
I encountered two mountain biker groups.  The first was just before
Wrightwood in the snow near Acorn Trail and the second was near the access
road just north of Big Bear.  The first encounter was not pleasant though
the rider did stop and chat and engage in a discussion re: the pros and
cons of biking the PCT.  The second encounter was met with the typical, "I
wasn't aware I was on the PCT" and this group actually turned around at my
request.

Although hiking is my passion, I too enjoy mountain biking.  In fact, just
a couple of weeks ago, I spent three days in Tahoe and road the TRT for the
better part of 40 miles, including the section that is designated to be
ridden on even days only.  We followed the rules and rode on October 6th
:).  During this trip, we encountered a number of hikers and I can say that
we had absolutely none of the problems that have been noted in the posts
recently with multi-use trails.  The encounters with hikers were pleasant
and on several occasions I actually stopped to talk about their TRT
thru-hike and shared a bit about my PCT thru-hike.

Now, I am not advocating that bikes be permitted on the PCT in any way by
way of this response, however, I do feel that some of the categorizations
of the MTB community (90% are a-holes if I recall correctly) are unfair and
inappropriate.

I live in the SF Bay Area and the majority of the open spaces that we have
here are multi-use trails.  I have logged nearly 2000 miles on these
single-track trails and have yet to encounter problems with MTB'ers, but
maybe I am in the minority.  When biking, though I love to blitz the
downhill single track, I feel that I am very aware of my surroundings and
given my hiking background know that I have a responsibility to those
travelling on foot or hoof.

By the way, I am also an owner of a Tennessee Walking Horse and enjoy these
trails on horseback as well.

One suggestion that I might make to those of you that want to take action
immediately is to contact the Trail Agencies for the TRT and other
multi-use trail and get some hard statistics about incidents that have been
reported and documented.  This may well go along way to proving the point
that is being made in regards to the dangers involved.

Elevator
PCT2006