[pct-l] When to Ask For Help

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Thu Oct 18 15:26:26 CDT 2012

You know, Chuck, that was a great and thorough response! I would only add a
couple non-UL options,

- Resupply stops through the snow-covered sierra need not be 5 days apart,
making for a lot of time spent going up and down the eastside of the sierra
with its huge elevation gains and losses. If this is what you want to do, no
sweat, but there are other choices. I used four locations when I did the
trail through the sierra, Kennedy Meadows area, Cedar Grove-Kings Canyon
area, Yosemite, then Tahoe. Worked for me, but then I wanted to enjoy
staying on-trail, did not mind the added weight and slowed progress of snow
issues, and couldn't bear the thought of going off-trail for days just to
get resupplied (most all my resupplies were right next to the trail).

- Carrying more food, clothing, and safety gear when on snow and dealing
with nasty creek crossings can only help and may make the trip more
comfortable and fun rather than challenging and risky. More fuel does offset
the symptoms of hypothermia, but you have to be aware enough of yourself in
your surroundings to notice its onset and begin eating and getting out of
that particular environment.

- Regarding Snow and Creek Crossings:  Slippery snow can be fairly
predictable, you just need to learn how to identify it and take the trained
precautions to get across it without falling. High-flow creek crossings are
unpredictable and the most dangerous to thru hikers during the "normal"
hiking season. They can be avoided or at least minimized by entering the
sierra (where its long drainages may for nasty crossings) either early or
late. Entering during the usual time (leaving Kennedy Meadows around June
1st) forces you to hike during the thaw when daytime temps on up to 6 feet
of snow are hot, nighttime temps are above freezing, the snow is only hard
(supportive enough) to walk on for a few hours in the mornings, you start
postholing after noon (think exhausting and the need for lots of food), the
run-off is getting huge (big creeks), and water is everywhere below snow
level (think lots of mud and wet shoes). Realistically and during the normal
hiking season, thru hikers are pretty close together in the sierra, so
waiting for companionship to deal with a nasty snow slope or creek crossing
isn't really a concern (depending how far apart the groups are) regarding
time and progress loss. Keep in mind, if the sierra gets more than the
average amount of snow during the winter, the thru hiker may have snow
underfoot from KM all the way to Rainier like I did!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
www.mountaineducation.org